Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Open House



Last week we went to an open house at Liam and Livi's school. They go to a Montessori school and I have been thoroughly impressed  with how much they have learned from this approach. They each get lessons everyday. There are different stations and each station has a different subject: Math, Science, English, sensory, etc. The kids each get a mat and the teacher gives them their name tag which they place on their mat before going to pick out whatever lesson they want.

Since we have 2 kids at the school, Chris and I had to split parenting duties. I went into Livi's class and he went into Liam's. This whole approach was amazing to watch for different reasons between the two of them. I couldn't believe how much of it Livi grasped. She knew exactly what to do and when to do it. Their lessons come on trays that they have to retrieve themselves, but when they aren't on trays... like say a bunch of building blocks... they have to bring them one by one. I saw Livi do both of these cause she did two different lessons and she didn't miss a beat. For Liam, it's amazing to me how a class of 15 3-5 year old's can be completely quiet and engrossed in what they are doing. Each on their own mat doing their own lesson.

I am happy to report that after a little investigating (aka- I asked the teachers), they are both doing well. Ms Kathy says Livi, although the youngest in her class, does better than a lot of the older kids and she can't believe how much she is talking. Ms Shareen says Liam is "a bit shy and sensitive" so she has to be careful how she speaks to him ( tell me about it..), but that he is lover and a sweetheart (tell me about it...).

If you're really bored, you can catch the rest of the open house videos (mostly Livi cause that's whose room I was in) here.




1 comment:

Peggy said...

Isn't it a funny feeling when you see your child take direction from someone who isn't in your family? I remember feeling like , wow My child goes to school and she knows what to do when she is here! It is such a good feeling but it also stings a little. They just keep getting more grown up and independent.
Livi moves around that room like a four year old! She is amazing!