Wednesday, January 2, 2013

My Princess


 It's no secret that Livi has grown to love all things princess. It's also no secret that I have not been so willing to oblige with this recent fascination. I suppose it's silly, but the feminist in me winces when I think about Barbie and her size 0 waist. If only there was such a thing as a Hillary Clinton doll. But I know that even if there was (and there probably is), she would still pick the frilly, pink Barbie. I do find solace in the fact that she calls her "Barbies" all by the name "Jessi". I have actually never heard her say the name Barbie.

I have a few friends with older daughters and I have asked all of them if their daughters were into princesses and girly things when they were younger. They almost all said yes and they almost all have independent, strong young women as daughters and so I decided that maybe it was ok to indulge in my daughters love for pink.. just a little. This Christmas, I gave my daughter a mermaid Barbie, some lip gloss and nail polish. I learned quickly there was no such thing as indulging just a little. Family quickly followed my lead and she soon had lots of pretty dresses and accessories. It's been a learning experience for me, but I know I just need to let it go and enjoy the ride. She is after all, a very cute princess.


No comments: