Saturday, September 10, 2011

Entitlements and Examples


Liam is getting to that age where he feels entitled to things. Part of me wonders how he could be so audacious, but then I remember back to my childhood. You know that saying "You don't know how good you had it until it's gone". That pretty much sums up the whole kid thing. When you are a kid, you have no idea the sacrifices your parents make to give you the things you need. That's just the way it is. They aren't people, they are like supreme beings whose sole purpose is to provide, protect and care for you. And that's that.

I don't remember the event that did it, but I do remember distinctly realizing that my parents were, in fact, human. I remember understanding that if I wanted something, they most likely had to give up something on their end to give it to me. And it's not until I had my own kids that this realization kicked into high gear. Then you start thinking wayyyyy back to all the times your parents must have sacrificed and how they did it. Once you realize that, you understand how much love and humility is involved in being a parent. I think that is what drives me to be a good mom and wife. I have excellent examples to follow and hopefully it will make my kids follow my example. 

1 comment:

LuckDragon said...

We do have really good examples of parenting don't we! Seriously they still sacrifice to help us out.