Pasta with Lemon Cream and Prosciutto
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 3 large shallots, minced
- 1 1/2 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1.5 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (cut this in half if serving to kids)
- 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed (we skipped this green step, but some people substituted asparagus)
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 16 ounces penne pasta
- 12 thin slices prosciutto
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add broth. Simmer over medium-high heat until mixture is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 2 minutes. Add cream, lemon peel, orange peel, and cayenne. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Add peas; simmer just until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in mint and lemon juice. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain; return pasta to pot. Toss pasta with sauce to coat.
Divide pasta among plates or bowls. Drape prosciutto slices atop pasta and serve, passing Parmesan separately.